For RTI domes we recommend the following settings to ensure a consistent series of images:
- Manual focus
- photo->focus mode MF
- Fixed ASA – typically 100
- Manual exposure (e.g. 1/4s F10)
- Vibration reduction off (lens and camera)
- photo->vibration reduction off
- Manual white balance (set a custom one using a grey card – see camera manual)
- Turn off image preview so the camera does not try to show each image on the screen
- Turn off or prevent any automatic uploading to a computer (e.g. wifi, BT, USB)
- Geometric distortion correction – normally left on as cameras know how to apply it for their lens
- Turn off auto-rotate – as it makes looking at image sets confusing
- Turn off any mirror-up or delay before capture (unless you can adjust the controller to compensate)
- Check “Release mode” is Single – in case you have used the camera in another mode elsewhere
- Set Picture Control (mild adjustment cameras have for sharpness/balance) to Neutral (if using JPG) – not any “Auto” which can alter between exposures.
- On mirrorless cameras use electronic shutter or “Silent” mode
- photo->silent photography on
- Check image resolution is on maximum
- on Nikons while using HDMI out for preview set C3 standby timer timeout to never
- Use a fast card as this reduces flush-to-card waiting and is safer for fast shutter speeds.
exposure delay is off (shooting/display)
Custom white balance helps to make white neutral – see camera manual. For Nikon’s manual is here.